Sunday 24 November 2013

El Andalous - Rats, Fourth Night

 
Underwater in Sahl Hasheesh - Spooky Black Spikey Things!

Was I now free of rats?

The day passed peacefully and I felt a lot better for having slept well, although for some reason my bum was starting to feel uncomfortable with all the sitting I’m having to do whilst my leg is incapacitated.

Jacquie came across to my balcony to let me know that I, along with some others, was invited to Kathleen’s the following night, and to update me on her meeting with the resort owners the day before. You have to see before you believe, of course, but she said that as from January there will be more transport options within Sahl Hasheesh, including little electric cars to take people to Spinneys with reduced rates for residents. This would be the best thing ever! Plus there could be reduced beach options for residents, among other things. Let’s see!

It was the start of “I’m a celebrity…” this evening, which was rather apt. I would be looking at the trials with rats with a different eye. I really don’t know how the celebs go through with it, unless knowing that rats are crawling over you with security watching is better than just wondering whether they are there or not with no help on hand if they do arrive. Actually, one thing that kept me going while listening out at night for any entrants to my bedroom was thinking that they allow the celebs to have these rats crawling all over them, so the danger of a serious infection even then can’t be so great, can it?

Anyway, I’m two hours ahead of the UK, so for me, the programme finishes at around midnight. Half-way through the programme, I heard some knocks and wasn’t sure if it was in my kitchen or next door. I looked over nervously, but couldn’t see anything. Just as the programme came to an end, a rat’s face popped up from behind the fridge. I yelled at it and it disappeared, but my nerves were jangling all over again. I’d put down some peppermint-soaked paper in the kitchen, and the rat’s face popped up just by one of them, so I was disappointed and now doubtful of the efficacy of my means of defence.

I blocked my door, of course, but couldn’t sleep for the first three hours. I heard what sounded like the rat hissing, but I guessed it was chewing the front door again. Sleep eventually overcame me.

The next morning, I looked at the door, and I was right. The rodent had been chewing it again and more wood shavings were on the floor. My nightmare was not yet over.

No comments:

Post a Comment