Monday 10 February 2014

El Andalous - Power Cuts

Front (Back?) of Entrance Piazza


One thing that you don’t automatically think to buy on first arrival (or even after four months!) is stuff to see you through in the event of a power cut. Recently, we’ve had two. Since these are quite a novelty for me, they bring a little excitement and remind me of my school days in the 1970s when we’d sit round candles at home.

We have scheduled cuts to electricity and water for regular maintenance – this seems to be about once every month. These are during the day, you are warned in advance, and really it’s not much problem.

Recently, though, we’ve had two “spontaneous” power cuts. The first one was maybe two weeks ago and the whole of Hurghada was affected. It was at night and I was working on my book. Since my laptop gave out sufficient light, I wasn’t really too bothered at first and just kept on working. However, after an hour, my battery ran out and only then did I realise that I should have been using the screen to hunt round my flat for alternative lighting.

I remembered my tablet and wondered if that still had some spare battery. After groping about, I managed to find it and work out where the “on” switch was. Fortunately, it was indeed working. My first thought was my incense burners for which I’d bought a couple of tea lights when I had my rodent problem. However, one was completely used up and I knew the other one wouldn’t last that long. Eventually, I remembered that I still had some Christmas candles (thank you, Hye-Youn!) and since I’m quite well organised these days, I knew exactly where they were and where my matches were (left behind from the previous tenant/owner, so thank you to them as well!). Using my tablet as a torch, I managed to find them.

Although that was problem solved, I sat there wondering what to do. I was just thinking that I should just go to bed when the lights went back on. Phew.

Maybe a week later, we had another one, at roughly the same time of night. Again, I was working away on my book when it happened. This time, Anne popped round and asked me if I was OK since I was on my own, so I reassured her that I was fine. By this time, I’d got out the candles already and, with my laptop still working, I was pretty comfortable. She informed me that this time it was just our block and she let me know her flat number if I wanted to come up.

Again, my laptop battery eventually went. I now realised that my candles wouldn’t last forever, so I hit upon the idea of going out to one of the local cafes for a coffee. I tried to go to Anne’s flat to fetch her, but the corridors were dark with very limited emergency lighting, and I couldn’t read the door numbers. I wandered up and down to see if I could work it out at all, but it was impossible.

I then decided to call on Safi, but again, I wasn’t sure of her flat – I just remembered it was by the stairs. I knocked twice on the door and then a guy opened. I apologised for getting the wrong flat and it turned out he was British, so we chatted for a few minutes. At this point, I was too shy to try knocking on another door in the hope that I would get it right (although it’s a good way of getting to know people!), as I guessed it might scare people. I considered going to Kathryn’s, but her end of the corridor was pitch black and I was too spooked to try walking into nothingness.

So, I went out on my own and did wonder if I would bump into anyone. On the way out, I asked the security guard when the lighting would be fixed and he said not until tomorrow, which at least set my expectations appropriately. Anyway, I ended up having a nice walk round the Entrance Piazza with its night-time lighting; it was looking very good now that it’s just finished its maintenance. I tried two cafes, but since it was now approaching 10pm, they were both closing.

I returned to my flat, lit the candles again (I’d positioned them so that they would be easy to light when I first got in), and again, wondered what to do. I then remembered that my previous tenants had also left a few LED lights, so I carried my candle around while trying to root around in my cupboard to find them. Eventually I retrieved them and they were pretty effective.

Again, I’d just decided to go to bed, maybe read a bit if I could, when the lights came back on.

This time, I learned that I’m lucky enough to have one of the emergency lights just outside my flat, so actually I can get quite a bit of light just by opening my door. I’ve put my first candle quite near there, so that in future I can open the door, see where the candle is and light it without a problem. My first LED light is also there; I have one in my bedroom as well and one by the candles in my lounge area, so I hope that next time I will be sorted! Nevertheless, the purchase of some additional candles is probably called for!

No comments:

Post a Comment