Thursday 9 October 2014

El Andalous - My First Year

Sahl Hasheesh at Sundown

Well, believe it or not, from tomorrow (10th Oct), I will have been here a year.

Each year goes past faster than the last one – I think it’s because the longer you live, the smaller a proportion of your life a year becomes. There’s always that sense of panic as a year goes by and you wonder what you’ve done with it, but actually, I’m pretty happy.

In some ways, those early days seem like a lifetime ago. I arrived with a frozen shoulder and added a broken foot to that within the space of two weeks. I was probably 8kg heavier at that point (I’d already lost a few kilos before moving over here) than I am now.

Then I had the rats to contend with, I had to barter with taxi drivers, including getting into unmarked taxis. We didn’t even have our own beach at El Andalous and I walked up to Palm Beach every day. In the early days, I didn’t even do this; I just wandered around finding the nearest bit of sand that I fancied using.

So, within the space of a year, quite a lot has changed. I am (for now, at any rate!) healthy, swim every day on the El Andalous beach, I regard Esmat as a friend and not just as a taxi driver, I’ve met and made friends with some wonderful people who live or own properties here who all show me such kindness. I’ve been writing weekly newsletters for the owners club so that I feel I am doing my bit.

I’ve completed two books (25 New Year’s Resolutions – for Dogs! and 25 New Year’s Resolutions – for Cats! (out next week)); I’ve worked on two novels and am fairly well progressed with both. Thanks to Geraldine, I now have an illustrator for my German False Friends book (still deciding on the title!) and he and I hope to release that next year.

I’ve learned a bit of Arabic – but a bit of a slap on the wrist there for me, since I’ve neglected it in recent times and my reading ability is probably diminishing. But I was making progress.

I don’t regret leaving work, and it’s just as well I’m of a calm disposition because the value of my shares has greatly reduced since I’ve been here and they are supposed to be funding my existence at some point. But I have faith that all will come good in the end. Or blind optimism. Or sheer foolhardiness. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It’s been good to have had some visitors – Holger, Snejana, Lena – and am looking forward to more to come (hello Geraldine!).

So, for a quiet life, it’s been fairly busy. I’m by no means fully settled in and I’m sure I’ll have more adventures in the next year. However, I sometimes struggle to find something to write twice a week here on my blog, so I will now reduce the frequency to Mondays only. I’m not sure I can even fill that, but life is unpredictable. If I have nothing to write, I’ll just stick a photo up so that you all know I’m still alive.

I’ve also reduced my El Andalous newsletters from once a week to once a month – isn’t that ridiculous, you don’t work anymore and you still feel that you have too much to do!

Have a good weekend everyone and I’ll be back on Monday!

4 comments:

  1. How quickly that year went by! It's now also a year since I moved (at least partially) to Brussels... I have read and enjoyed each and every post on your blog - please keep it alive!! Reading your blog makes me dream about my own 'retirement' from work :-) All the best for year two in Egypt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gerard! I still remember when you posted a photo of your flat on facebook. Sometimes I wish life would slow down a bit - the days when I was a child and the school holidays seemed so long seem like a different lifetime. Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback - always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has shot by! To think it was but a dream and now to have had one year of it! Congratulations on one of many.

    Your new years resolution could be "planning", not to burn food and take swimsuits to the beach! You're clearly doing too much if you have to cut back things. The lerkers (me) enjoy dipping in and out to suck up some aspiration. Having been told off recently in a meeting for finding your internet upgrade potential and goats running amok of greater interest than an overpaid banker, you best continue!

    I did learn something from the meeting, the wrong answer to the question "which is more interesting whatever page your reading or me?" is..my friends blog! Alas, as he had asked me to be there, its his problem for not stimulating this brain that needs overclocking!

    There is nothing up with Red Wine with Fish either, would make a good book title.

    TC F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Fraser, that's not right, you have the same icon as I do!

      Anyway, many thanks for the congratulations, although it wasn't my intention to get anyone into trouble. I'm not sure I'm doing too much - it's more that I want to make the most of my time and I can't see the point in struggling to say something if I have nothing to say. It just saves everyone's precious time if I keep quiet. On the other hand, I still just ramble at times (as I am now), but that's my prerogative :-)

      I like the tile of Red Wine with Fish. Hmmm....

      Delete