Monday 26 January 2015

Egypt - Journey to Luxor

Truck loaded with Sugar Cane

Over the last two weeks I’ve been lucky enough to have Sheila visiting me (she’s posted a couple of comments here as So Kay).

Somehow, the two weeks went past without us achieving everything on the “To Do” list, but such is life. We did manage a trip to Luxor, but since I’ve already blogged about that once, I won’t go into detail again. However, there were a few differences this time.

Everything started off fairly smoothly. We packed for the two-night / three day stay, Safi kindly booked the taxis and guides for us, and the taxi was waiting outside El Andalous as we stepped out of the building.

However, we got only as far as the security gate out of Sahl Hasheesh when we realised that maybe Sheila should have her passport with her – either for the hotel or for police checks on the way. We got the taxi to turn round so that we could fetch it.

On arrival at El Andalous, we were accosted by an Egyptian guy telling us to get out of the taxi and not to get back in because there was a big problem. I imagined a tourist attack in Luxor and my heart sank. This was the last impression that I wanted Sheila to have of Egypt!

After trying to get some information out of the guy about the problem, he said he needed to speak to Safi. At first I thought this was because he wanted to explain the problem in Arabic to her so that she could relay it back to us. I couldn’t reach her on the phone, so I started to go in and then thought I could get Medhat to explain rather than disturbing Safi.

I returned to hear him explaining to Sheila that the taxi had basically been double-booked and that it had been agreed that he would take us to Luxor and not our original taxi driver. At this point, I realised that maybe I needed to get Safi after all.

I felt really bad for her as she had gone to a lot of effort to help us book and it wasn’t her fault (our taxi company had failed to inform the other taxi driver that it had been agreed that the other taxi driver should be cancelled). Anyway, she came down and told us just to get in our original taxi and drive away immediately; she would sort out the other guy.

We did as we were told and drove away leaving an angry taxi driver and Safi in the back mirror.

As it turned out, we didn’t need Sheila’s passport, although this time there were a lot of police checks (we didn’t have any when I went with Lena), including one where we got a bit confused when they asked for our hotel room number (how could we know when we hadn’t even arrived?). However, it turned out they meant our previous address (El Andalous).

At first there was an unusual amount of traffic and it turned out that a cycling team was riding down the road – they were described by the driver as tourists, but we suspect he may have meant foreigners, as they were all dressed up in what looked like team cycling gear.

Half-way down the motorway we stopped to hand over a package to someone in the middle of the road having apparently come from the middle of nowhere; this is pretty typical for Egypt. Sheila was surprised when we picked other passengers up in our taxi on other occasions, but it’s just more efficient, even if it does all seem a bit random at times.

Last time I did this journey, we took the ring road and bypassed Qena; this time we passed through it and it was very interesting. It was sugar cane season, so there were tons of trucks and donkey carts carrying the sugar beet and a small train with carriage upon carriage of sugar beet. If the locals saw us looking, they would wave to us.

I guess we took the ring road last time because it was quicker. The journey was quite a bit longer this on this occasion, but it was also more interesting to see the city and daily life going on.

On arrival at the hotel, we paid the whole expenses up front, as last time. At least I now knew to expect this. We also received an apology for the mix up over taxi drivers.

It’s rare to have a journey out of Sahl Hasheesh that doesn’t involve some kind of adventure!

7 comments:

  1. Although we didn't know it at the time and were trying to figure it out on our journey, our taxi driver had come all the way from Luxor (unlike the angry one from Hurgarda) and surprisingly seemed to be fairly laid back about potentially losing his taxi trip fare or having his time wasted (4/5 hour trip there and back) - he didn't put up much of a fight from what I remember, and I was fairly sure the angry guy wouldn't brook no for an answer.
    He'd parked a little way down the road and I was worried he'd drive off with our suitcases so I told the angry guy that were there and he told me to go and get them. The Luxor driver got out and we both just stood there smiling politely at each other not knowing what to do.
    The hasty driving-off seemed like some kind of getaway in a film as I banged my head in my hurry to get in .
    Re: the cyclists. There were a team of young sportsmen of some kind in the plane from Cairo. I saw someone holding up a sign saying 'Egyptian Cycling Team' at Hurgarda Airport so maybe there was some kind of cycling event going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was when Fiona looked in her bag to see if she had her passport for the hotel that I mentioned that I didn't have mine because it never occurred to me that it would be needed. We asked the driver who had limited English what to do; he then phoned someone about it in Arabic and told us yes so we drove back. He didn't seem fazed about redoing the fifteen minutes? or so and back to the hotel.

      At the Sheraton in Luxor they also asked for 'passports' (in the plural) although it was Fiona who had booked the room but I'm sure it would have been ok if I hadn't had mine.

      Delete
    2. The journey through Qena was alongside a very long canal with frequent bridges which we first took to be the Nile but the driver put us right about that. It did have these papyrus-type rushes and all about was very green, sometimes the green grass was a very intense green. It all came as a surprise after the desert and the barren mountains.
      Most of the donkey carts (some put together in very odd ways - I saw one made out of an oil drum) were laden with these long green herby things - aslo very green. Some were driven by children.
      There were also lots of little colourful Chevrolet trucks piled-up precariously with all sorts of freight. It was amusing to also see the small vans and tut-tuts? with people hanging on cheerfully round the sides and the back.
      I particularly enjoyed the sight on another occasion of a child perched on a huge pile of sacks on the back of a truck on a Hurgardan highway, waving his hands around freestyle as if dancing to Egyptian music or pretending to be a bird.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote these comments quite quickly so sorry about the missing words and the bits that don't read well or make perfect sense.
    Don't want to bring down the standard of Fiona's great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your comments, Sheila - they read perfectly well and add much more colour than I gave to it, so they are great fun to read

      Delete