Monday 22 June 2015

Zurich - Internet Problems

My Old Office - With Internet
Well, I’m back online again. It was a rather strange four days without my own internet access – even in Egypt, I’ve never been without internet for that long, so everything was starting to feel very un-Swiss.

I was on the internet Wednesday evening, I woke up on Thursday and it just wasn’t functioning. I went to work, thinking it would have resolved itself by the time I got back home (that’s what happens in Egypt, after all), but when I got back, the connection was still dead. I had wifi, but no internet (I don’t understand that!).

I will usually avoid using the phone all costs. However, internet access is one thing that I will finally pick up my mobile for and use it. At least the conversation would be in German and not in Arabic or an Egyptian speaking English that I can’t understand due to some fault of my own.

But I also hate helplines. At least they had an English service. After wading through the obligatory menu system and intervening adverts, I sat and waited on the phone for 40 minutes. The muzaak sounded like it was on a tape that was getting worn out. I began to wonder if perhaps their lines were actually closed. I got fed up and hung up. Then after half an hour, I was too itchy about not having any internet, so I phoned up again. I did wonder if they would have more people on the German-speaking helpline, but I stuck with the English one in the end. After half an hour, someone answered the phone. I’d decided to busy myself with playing a game on my tablet in the mean time.

I must have been on the phone with him for 45 minutes (thus explaining the long wait times!), only to find that he couldn’t resolve it. He said he’d send me a dongle. I asked if I could pick it up from the shop (thinking that it would take a long time for it to come through the post because the weekend was fast approaching), but no, it had to be done by post.

I hoped for a miracle, but the next morning, my internet was still non-existent.

It happened to be the day we were moving offices at work, so I should have been working from home. Instead, I ended up going into the office, was asked to go somewhere else when they moved my stuff, and I ended up sitting all alone in one of the meeting rooms. There were only about three people in the whole building.

I got a call on my personal mobile. It was Swisscom; they wanted me to go home to do a few more tests on my connection.

After another long phone call, it was decided again that they couldn’t do anything about it. I now faced a weekend without the internet. That’s my idea of a nightmare.

I decided to see if I could access UK TV via my work internet (no internet also meant no TV). In addition, I was worried about potential urgent personal emails, and I needed my daily fix of reading up on my stocks and shares. I took a bottle of wine with me into the work building to stop it feeling too much as if I were back in the office and I made myself comfortable in the lounge area off the kitchen as another compromise.

It turned out that I couldn’t get to my email because yahoo wanted to confirm who I was via my Egyptian mobile phone, I couldn’t get the TV link to work (it works in Egypt, so that was very strange), although I could get BBC. I read up on my shares, had a glass of wine, and ended up going back home. Egypt was starting to look like the centre of efficiency by comparison to Switzerland.

The next day I took a tram into the nearest shopping centre, lugging my personal laptop with me, so that I could go to Starbucks and check my emails for any urgent matters. It was like I was in some kind of alternate reality. All the trams had been replaced by buses because of construction on my route. The street looked a right mess. And other buses also had the same number as my bus, but were clearly not doing my route. It all looked rather disorganised. Was I really in Switzerland?

I had an hour in Starbucks, stuffed myself full of calories with a cafe latte and a raspberry cheesecake, did my blog, sent off a few emails, and then that was me cold turkey for the weekend. No more internet.

I did get loads done. I finished writing “25 New Year’s Resolutions – for Fish” (I still need photographs and it needs an edit), I did all my ironing, I scrubbed that ceramic hob clean, I bought some plants and potted them out, I pruned the existing plants. I washed, I vacuumed. I worked on my novel “Space Shapes”. I went to the gym.

On Monday morning, I eagerly looked in my mailbox, but no dongle had arrived. I received a text message from Swisscom apologising that they were no further forward.

I went to work and made sure that everyone knew that I had experienced the indignity of having to come in on Friday. I went back home, and, to my astonishment, found that the internet was finally working.

I have no idea what went wrong. I had an email from Denise saying that she had the dongle and would bring it round, so I emailed back to let her know all was fine and that there was no hurry. I’d just cleaned, but I still felt nervous about her seeing the flat! 

And, to be honest, I wanted the luxury of an evening to myself, just me and the internet.

2 comments:

  1. There got to be more interesting things in your life to tell us about than your eternal hassles with mobile phones, washing machines, internet, kitchen appliances....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gerard, you disappoint me - I was hoping for a comment like "oh, can't wait to buy "New Year's Resolutions - for Fish!" or "Oh, bring out your novels as quickly as possible, please!" after my gentle hints in that blog. Never mind, I have some scintillating moans about the weather planned for my next blog. That should cheer you up!

      Delete