Monday 7 November 2016

Sahl Hasheesh - An Eventful Life

Brunch - After I'd Eaten a few Chips and Smeared Grease on the Camera Lens!

For the third time, I returned back to Sahl Hasheesh only to find it was a weekend where an international horse jumping competition was taking place. I don’t know how I do it! I seem to return whenever one of these events is happening. Each competition has been increasingly more important, which suggests that the organizers must be doing something right. This time, it was the qualifying championships for the world cup. They’d managed to get parasols in for those sitting round the sides, so at least there was some shade this time. I still sat in the VIP tent, though, as a matter of principle.

I was also fortunate that, for the middle three weeks of October, the resort management company held a free Saturday Brunch for holders of a Sahl Hasheesh resident’s card. Saturday brunch is the equivalent to a European Sunday brunch as it’s the second day of the weekend. It seems ironic that in the wealthy countries you have to pay for brunch but in struggling Egypt, it’s offered for free.

So, who says there is no such thing as a free brunch? It was a good offering – mini beef burgers, pizzas, spring rolls, chicken wraps; French fries, samosas, sausage rolls of some kind and a few cheesy items that I didn’t touch; for dessert there was fruit salad. You helped yourself to as much as you wanted from the tables, which were laid out on a grassy area towards the back of the beach. Drinks were also included and comprised a choice of water, mango juice, or mandarin juice. It wasn’t the healthiest of meals, but still great! 

The invitation also offered us a day’s free use of Il Gusto beach – you usually have to pay a fee to use their facilities. They have some banana-shaped loungers in the sea (I couldn't heave myself on due to my sprained thumb), comfortable loungers, free towels, and showers. Plus a bar (this wasn't free!).

In addition to this, I was invited to several “sundowners” – Nicole invited me round for early evening drinks with Tom and Kath; Tom and Kath then reciprocated. In the end, there wasn’t a spare slot free for me to reciprocate. I booked in with Safi to catch up with her a few times and we chatted over a coffee in the setting sun. Then there was an evening or three where Ksenia, Nicole and I met up for “business” drinks to discuss negotiations over how to improve the management of El Andalous, leading up in part to a long, three-hour meeting between the owners and the management at El Andalous. Another few evenings were spent writing up the minutes for this meeting, as well as for an hour's meeting that we'd had with the resort (Sahl Hasheesh) management company.

For once, I do know where all my time has gone, but I’m feeling pretty exhausted now as it’s been a real whirlwind of activity. It’s not exactly the relaxing life of just lying on the beach every day that I’d imagined. However, I am still making time for the beach; otherwise there’s no point in being here. I’ve managed to read quite a few (easy) novels, which has felt a bit like drinking when you hadn’t realized that you were thirsty. However, it took 10 days until I had enough of a chunk of time available to go snorkeling down at the Tropitel!

I am hoping that life will get a little quieter soon – it’s great to be active, but sometimes a little down time is also good!

No comments:

Post a Comment