Monday 10 July 2017

Tuscany - Steph and Nicolas' Big Event

The Families of the Bride and Groom
So, finally it was Saturday, and it was the day of the main wedding celebrations. I’ve never been to such a lavish extravaganza! We were all supposed to dress in costumes from somewhere between 1790-1910.

I’d arranged to hire a costume from a seamstress in town recommended by our hosts since this seemed to be the easiest option. In the end, I went there on the morning just before the event that was due to start at 4pm. Jo (yes, Gerard, the Jo that you know!) had decided to tag along, much to my relief as it turned out I was pretty incompetent. In my hurry, I forgot to bring the map and instructions with me (I’d left them in my hotel room). I’d remembered which bus we needed to take but that was about it. By some sheer fluke, we got off the bus just a few doors down from where the seamstress lived. I still don’t know how we managed that because we were pretty clueless

Anyway, our next problem was that each door had two numbers – one looked like old numbering and one looked like new numbering, so we weren’t sure which was the correct building. I’d also forgotten to bring the woman’s name with me and none of the names on the doors looked familiar. Fortunately, Jo had her phone (I didn’t, of course), so she phoned Steph, who advised us that actually the door had the name of an architect and not of the seamstress who lived there. This is Italy for you! For all that Switzerland can seem over-regulated (you have to buy the specified name plates and have them in the specified design when you move into a new flat), it does have its advantages.

Anyway, my choice of costume was easy because she suggested the lightest one (in weight) and that was good for me given the heat. It was a pretty good fit as it turned out and she just needed to raise the hem a bit. To my relief she said it was an old costume so it wouldn’t matter if it got dirty. That was one less thing to worry about.

We made it back just in time to get changed quickly. Jo helped me do up my dress, because my costume had to be laced up at the back. I now realize why they all had servants in those days – it’s just impossible to dress and undress yourself in those clothes.

Coming downstairs and seeing everyone gradually arrive in period dress was a lot of fun. We had an apero in the courtyard of the hotel; a singer and harpist played in the background in keeping with the era and helping to set a refined but relaxed atmosphere. Steph and Nicolas informally renewed their vows for those who hadn’t been able to attend the official wedding last year.

Afterwards, we walked into the garden where a large table was laid out. Even though it was early evening, the sun was still beating down; it was like mid-summer. We sat at our allocated places and the meal began, with course arriving after course. Between each course, and in keeping with the period again, a commedia dell’arte group played scenes for us to watch as we “rested” to let our food settle. It was definitely a feast for a King and Queen.

Half-way through the dinner we changed places at the table, so that we all got to talk to different people. I have no idea how many courses we had – it seemed to go on forever. That was also very much a theme of the entire visit. Food was extremely plentiful and in multiple courses; you were never quite sure when a meal would actually end. Italy is great!

Around midnight, I was ready for bed. I went upstairs to my room but was faced with the fact that I was unable to undo my own costume. I did what I could (took off my make up, took off my hair grips, brushed my teeth, etc) and then heard someone coming up the stairs.

I rushed outside and saw a couple who I’d spoken to quite a lot over the last few days. I shouted out to them, but they didn’t hear me and shut the door behind them. I stood outside the door a bit pathetically saying “hello?” and finally the husband opened the door. I explained that I needed someone to undress me. The poor guy looked a bit shocked and said that I probably wanted his wife! She bravely tugged at the lacing up the back of my costume while I stood in the corridor, but it was harder than she anticipated and she advised us to maybe do this in my room instead of in the public corridor. I got it off in the end, much to my relief, although I’m not sure what the seamstress thought when she got it back as it must have been obvious that it had been removed incorrectly!

The following day, those of us still remaining in Italy were again invited over to Steph and Nicolas’ villa for an evening meal. Once more the food was divine and again it was beautiful to be up in the hillside overlooking the countryside and the town below. It really was perfect and I felt privileged to have been invited to join this unique event in celebration of their marriage. May they live a long and happy life together!

1 comment:

  1. Fiona, you forgot the obvious! We want a picture of you and Jo in your dresses!!

    ReplyDelete