Monday 14 May 2018

El Andalous - New and Old Faces

EA Beach - Not as Alone as You May Think!

I did think that one problem in coming back to Egypt in May would be that most of the winter season folk would have left, meaning that maybe my social life would be a little lacking. Nevertheless, I was sure that the sun and sea would compensate.

However, my fears were unfounded. Since I was last in El Andalous, my “KFC’ bus (Senzo mall bus) had changed its operation from Monday evenings only to every Tuesday and Saturday evening. This was fortunate, because I’d arrived back on a Tuesday, meaning I could get the bus that evening, sort out my internet, and celebrate my return with a KFC dinner (no coleslaw, and an extra portion of chips in return – they know my order there!). What a nice start to my brief visit!

The bus used to be late a lot of the time, but to my surprise someone from reception called at my door ten minutes before it was due to leave to say that the bus was already there and I was the last person they were waiting for. I was grateful that they hadn’t forgotten me and actually there was someone else hoping to get on, but they had reserved my seat as requested. This is progress!

Anyway, I got on the bus, a bit flustered because I felt I was late even though I was early, and immediately I was greeted by a couple who I’d met just before I left last time. They’d just moved to El Andalous and were from the North of England. So, I was only back a few hours and I’d already bumped into people I knew.

The following day on the beach, Adi greeted me. I’d forgotten that he was over here just now, so that was a nice surprise (and he accompanied me to the KFC a week later).

I popped over on my bicycle to BestWay to do my main food shopping. It was mostly heavy stuff such as all my bottled water, my milk, fruit juice, etc. I went to the till to pay and offered the woman behind me to go in front, since she only had two things. She said she wasn’t in a hurry and I should just go ahead. I went to pay and asked for the stuff to be delivered, only to find out that their delivery cart had broken down and they couldn’t do deliveries. I resigned myself to having to go back and forth in two trips when the woman behind me said she’d help me carry everything back.

I tried to insist that it was OK and I could do it, but she was better at insisting than I was. Anyway, it turned out that she was thinking of moving over to Sahl Hasheesh to live with her boyfriend, so she actually wanted some information from me as we were walking. We exchanged email addresses. Another contact!

The next day on the beach, Karl came up to greet me. I hadn’t realized he was over here either. That’s the beauty (and bane) of a private beach – you often know others who are there.

Then, the following day, I was invited over for sundowners with Kathleen and Tom. I was so happy to catch them before they left. We’d prearranged this, so it wasn’t a surprise that they were here, but I was nevertheless so pleased that I hadn’t missed them. They are usually here for 2-3 months twice a year.

On another evening, I volunteered to meet up with someone who’d posted on the Sahl Hasheesh residents facebook page that he’d like to talk to someone who lives in Sahl Hasheesh since he was thinking of moving over here to live. I dithered about responding, but no-one else had replied and I know I would have liked someone to do that for me, so I sent him a message and arranged to meet up with him and his wife in one of the cafes. They’d been on holiday in Makadi Bay, had a tour that started in Sahl Hasheesh, and had fallen in love with it. Six weeks later they were back and looking at properties but wanted the low-down of the pros and cons. I exchanged emails with them as well. Yet another contact!

I’d invited Safi over for coffee one morning to catch up with her news, and then there was another evening where I went out with Nicole for a meal. I reciprocated Tom and Kathleen’s invitation for sundowners by inviting them round to my place on another evening. I was a bit shocked to find out that I hadn't hosted them for maybe two or three years! I'd always been round to theirs. I need to get a grip. I'm lucky that others are so kind over here.

So, my fears about being somewhat on my own this time round were completely unfounded!

No comments:

Post a Comment