Monday 5 November 2018

El Andalous - Settling Back In

El Andalous from Refurbished Pier


I usually joke that there’s always something that immediately breaks on my return, that Egypt is where everything always goes wrong. This time, however, it was really fairly smooth. I don’t know if I should be worried.

The only thing that was broken was the basket on my Flying Pigeon which was half-hanging off. However, I was able to fix this myself (I was fairly proud of this achievement). My key was also sticking in my lock – it has done this ever since I’ve been here, but it had got to the point where even I found it annoying. I cleverly (by my standards) thought to spray it with some WD40 and hey presto the key now fits in smoothly. I felt very dynamic.

It was rewarding to have the WD40 already there in my flat; similarly, it was good to have the OFF spray (mosquito repellent) and my insect bite cream ready to hand. I was feeling very organized and settled. It’s only taken 5 years!

There are always quite a few admin things to do all the same. I had to go to the bank to change my money, and I needed to get my visa extension. The 6-month visa now costs the same as a 12-month visa, which makes it feel as if I’m paying more than necessary. However, I’m happy and grateful that I’m allowed to be here, and the country needs the money, so I really don’t mind. To be honest, the foreigners can afford the steep price hikes more than the local people, so it’s fair play to raise more money by increasing the visa costs by some multiples vs the rate of inflation (which is in any case high) over the years (I think the visa cost has gone from 80 LE to 1200 LE in 5 years).

I’d forgotten just how many liquids I get through when the weather is so hot. I seem to have gone off diet coke all of a sudden, so I’m drinking more water and iced coffee instead. I completely underestimated how much water and milk to buy on my first trip to BestWay, since I’m not normally a great water drinker. But in the heat, I’m constantly needing another drink.

I thought I’d miss the espresso machine that I have at home in Switzerland when returning to lowly Nescafe gold for my home-made iced coffees in Egypt, but actually it’s been fine. Unlike in most of Europe, where coffee is now espresso dominated, over here many cafes still serve Nescafe. I remember when it used to be like that in the UK. Espresso-based drinks do exist here, though, so don’t get me wrong.

Anyway, I’m now back in the flow – my fridge is fully stocked with juice, milk, and water, plus some diet coke should the urge suddenly return. I believe my skin is already a little darker in reacting to its new climate, and I’m settled in.

No comments:

Post a Comment