Monday 6 May 2019

Zurich to Hurghada

El Andalous from the Plane


I’m back in Egypt for a month. I think I had the smoothest journey back ever.

Since I’m thinking of returning to Egypt full-time from October this year, I effectively started packing for my removal from Zurich. Of course, many things I still need in Zurich from June onwards, but I packed some of my ornaments (although I wasn’t quite sure where they’d go in my Egypt flat, as it’s already quite cluttered), my European summer duvet (in Zurich I’ll make do with blankets if I need them), and most of my winter clothes (including shoes). It was quite surprising just how much fitted into my suitcases. As last time, I had to take three laptops with me (which will also have to come back with me, ugh). In my hand luggage, I sneaked in a couple of boxes of cereal so that I could treat myself while I was in Egypt to my creature comforts.

I went to the airport to get clarification on what was allowed in your luggage and the restriction on laptops had lifted, so I was allowed to put them in my suitcases rather than my hand luggage. That was already a big improvement over my last journey. Also, the flight was at 0650 which, although horribly early, is still much better than 0610.

I fretted a bit about all the electronics I had with me in my hand luggage (3 phones, my TV streamer, my camera, my tablet, my alarm clock, my kindle, and one other item that escapes me just now). I’d read that you were allowed a maximum of 6, but hoped that they wouldn’t count or that I could take twice as much on business.

I trundled with 2 suitcases and 2 pieces of hand luggage (a rucksack and a handbag) to the bus stop in good time (the pre-dawn buses often arrive early). I must have looked suitably laden down because a guy with a gammy leg and a walking stick offered to help me on the bus with my luggage. I declined, but he insisted and grabbed the largest suitcase (which, unknown to him, was actually the lightest) and heaved it on to the bus for me while I lifted the other one and my hand luggage. I felt a little bad about it, but was also very grateful and persuaded myself that actually he was probably happy to feel useful and not handicapped. He helped me off the bus as well, so really it was all super smooth.

I’d put all my electronics in a plastic bag so that I could just tip them out into the tray as I went through security, but it turned out that they only counted my kindle and my tablet as electronic items anyway, so I needn’t have stressed.

There was enough time for me to go into the business lounge briefly and get some cereal and a coffee. I had no apprehensions at all about returning to Egypt this time. I was happy to be returning and my heart was light. I think this means I’m fully settled!

For the first time ever, I was the only person sitting in business, so that felt a bit odd. I wasn’t quite sure I wanted all the attention, but I did feel like royalty with the whole cabin to myself. The early morning business fight is never as good as the later return flight – no fancy chocolates, smaller meal, and I’m less in the mood to drink alcohol (although I do get to use the business lounge on that leg of the journey)! I had a couple of glasses of champagne and that was it. The mid-morning snack (after breakfast) was a cheese thing, so I couldn’t eat that. But these are minor things; the fight was pleasant and smooth and it went fast enough.

On the return flight to Egypt, they always announce “enjoy your holiday”, and each time I think that this doesn’t apply to me! It always makes me feel a bit special to be living there, though, and not just going for a vacation.

Being the only person in business also meant that I was the first person to leave the plane. I had bought my visa in advance online, so I went straight to passport control. I didn’t dare look behind me to see if anyone just blindly followed me (presumably most of them would need their visas at the airport or from their tour rep). The guy at passport control said something to me twice that I didn’t understand, so I’ll just have to hope that it wasn’t anything important.

I was stopped by security on the way out – they were a bit suspicious of my three laptops and wanted to be sure that they weren’t new. I assured them they were old. They also queried my Jabra, which I use for speaking over the internet on calls. They asked if it was a music box, so I decided just to say it was rather than have to try to explain. You might be able to use it to play music; I’m not sure. And then I was let through.

We arrived early and I’d booked ABC Taxis rather than Esmat – I’ve had problems the last few times with meeting the person that Esmat has sent to collect me and also Esmat’s fares have gone up quite a lot. It was also in part due to the fact that I had a new phone and couldn’t access Esmat’s number (another blog, maybe). Anyway, the guy from ABC Taxis was maybe 5 minutes late, but I met him easily enough and the drive was pleasant and 75LE cheaper than Esmat (125LE instead of 200 LE).

I received the usual “welcome back” from the staff at El Andalous and my flat was clean (with a few things out of place, as is normal). It was the first time that I’ve entered the flat and actually thought it looked like a nice flat (I’m usually aware that it’s a bit over-cluttered), even though there was nothing different about it. Maybe it’s just because psychologically I’m gearing up to this being my main residence again.

All in all, a good trip, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment