Monday 8 July 2019

Zurich - Lake Crossing Swim

Go, go, go!

During the summer months, there are various organized events where you can swim across the lake (Lake Zurich). There’s even one that’s for swimming the length (rather than width) of the lake and is the distance of a marathon. Believe it or not, each year the marathon swim is booked out; I looked at the criteria for selection, and it’s in order of how many times you’ve not managed to get a ticket before, so those who have applied four times and never got entry have priority over those who have been rejected only once before. It’s a whole different world from me and my swimming!

Anyway, the main popular lake crossing swim is just 1.5km and is hugely popular. Numbers are limited to 9000 people; it used to be unlimited with over 10,000 people taking part and starting the swim whenever they liked, but recently they’ve changed it and now you have to apply for a specific starting time as well.

There are usually three prespecified dates - two in July and one in August. The swim only takes place on one of these dates, but the lake has to be warm enough (21 degrees in the middle; it used to be 19 degrees, if I recall correctly) and there have to be no storms, so there are three chances each year that it can take place.

This year conditions were good on the first available date – I can’t remember when this last happened. My memory is that it almost always ends up taking place in August. If all dates are bad for some reason, then it’s cancelled for that year.

This is Switzerland, so it’s very well organized. You check in with your ticket and then get a swimming cap and a luggage tag with your number on it. You attach your tag to your bag and then leave it in your allocated luggage group. Wearing the swimming cap is compulsory.

They transport the luggage across the lake while you swim. Each group starts on a countdown at their allocated time. It’s a bit of a free-for-all at first as everyone jostles for space in the water, but after a while it settles down. Fast swimmers used to have their own lane, but that’s not provided any more.

The route is marked out with buoys. Boats are positioned at regular intervals to pick up anyone who needs to give up or is injured or becomes unwell, etc. You aren’t allowed to use swimming aids. It’s a fun swim and not a competition, so you aren’t officially timed and there’s no ranking.

I’ve done it before, but only using breast stroke; this year I was trying it for the first time using crawl. I felt a bit nervous and unsure of myself, but it turned out that I did it easily and without even feeling tired at the end. At the beginning I panicked that the stress of all the people around me would use up all my energy, but that soon dissipated. The water was a wonderful 25 degrees, so it was absolutely perfect. I had no problem getting in the water at all.

On arriving at the other end, you get a cup of soup (you keep the cup, which is branded with the swimming year; it used to be glass but now it’s plastic) and the luggage is set out in numbered groupings on the grass. You change in one of the tents. To get out of the area, you have to show your swimming cap and your luggage tag, the numbers on which have to match in order for you to be allowed to exit. The luggage tag then serves as a food token that entitles you to some risotto and a bottle of water. See what I mean – super organization!

It really was a fabulous swim this year; I was proud of myself that I found it so easy and am now looking for a longer swim later in the summer, either across Lake Zurich or some other lake in Switzerland. I will miss this when I leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment