Monday 25 November 2019

Zurich - Final Week

Goodbye Zurich!


I was hoping I could just relax for my final week, since theoretically all my packing was already done and the flat should have been handed over. I’d moved into a studio flat on Saturday for my final week so that I’d still have my own space and could cook for myself rather than having to eat out (which I’d have had to do if I were in a hotel). Even at this stage, I discovered that I still had too much stuff, so put aside yet another rucksack for Lena to store for me. Slowly, I thought, everything was finally coming together.

However, this being Switzerland, I went for my flat check on the Monday to hand over the keys and for the letting agency to check the cleaning. They have a whole check list for you to work through when cleaning, which includes things like “dismantle the double glazing and clean between the windows” and “treat everything with limescale remover”. In addition, when you originally move in, you sign a form which has every flaw listed when you take the flat (they walk you through it when you move in) and they compare the condition of the flat when you leave with the condition of the flat as noted on the form. It takes at least an hour, so it’s not like you can ever just collect or hand back the keys.

Unfortunately, the agency did not accept the professional cleaning as to an acceptable standard. The cleaning manager was there and he phoned the cleaner responsible to come back and do it, since the cleaning was under guarantee. However, foolishly, I guess, I paid him the money there and then since it was otherwise going to be difficult for me to pay. Even now, I’m not sure if the cleaning was completed as I’m still awaiting my deposit back. Moving in Switzerland is a right faff, although it does mean that when you move in to a new place to live, it’s always spotless.

In addition to the cleaning failing the test, I was asked to remove two sets of shelving that I’d taken over with the flat and a brick from the balcony that had been left there before. You always have to restore the flat to original condition.

All this meant that my final week ended up being not quite so stress free! The agency said they would come on Friday to check it again, so I went to the flat for the next three days to check on whether the cleaner had turned up (she hadn’t). I tried to dismantle the shelves, but could only do one of them, as I couldn’t get the other one to budge. As it was, the one I’d taken off the wall was too large for the rubbish bins and too heavy for me to carry to the dump. In the end, I decided the agency could deal with it and charge me, if need be. But it was quite a few days wasted as I went backwards and forwards between my studio and my old flat trying to sort things out.

Once I’d given up with my old flat, I devoted myself pretty thoroughly to the Zurich Film Festival. I bought myself a day pass that allowed me to go to any film that started before 6pm. I must have seen about 8 films altogether. Two of them ended up with Commendations. One was an Icelandic film called White, White, Day and had been my favorite, even though it was very slow moving. It was basically about a man coming to terms (or not) with the death of his wife. The other one was a documentary about a private ambulance service in Brazil (I think it was Brazil) where there is a chronic shortage of state ambulances. Thus people in accidents have to agree to accept the help of a (more expensive) private ambulance or not have help at all. Having said that, the film portrayed the private ambulance as often helping and getting no payment.

I enjoyed staying in the studio flat; I’d forgotten how nice it is to be that much closer to town. The flat was also very nicely laid out with a bed area, a walk-in wardrobe area, and plenty of space for the lounge. The kitchen was small but perfectly adequate; it took me a while to get used to the bathroom being so near to the bed. It was fairly quirky as the owner seemed to like to collect things. He had a collection of hats, a whole cupboard of towels, a great big box of slippers (taken from hotel rooms?), a whole jar of pens, and a similar container of scissors. Cushions abounded everywhere. It had an arty feel and I could quite easily have lived there permanently, particularly since it had a balcony. Even though it was October, the weather was still good enough for me to sit outside at times.

It was on the same bus line to go to the airport as from my previous flat, so taking my luggage to the airport was also easy. All in all, it was perfect. I just wished I’d had more of the week as pure relaxation rather than the added stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment