Monday 27 July 2020

El Andalous - Back to Snorkeling

Racoon Butterflyfish


Coronavirus cases here are decreasing (for now, at any rate) and things are opening up a little. I’m now able to snorkel again.

I’ve missed being able to intersperse swimming days with snorkeling days and it’s surprising how much difference just a little change in your schedule can make to helping you feel a bit more refreshed and back to normal.

So far, I’ve been twice to my “private” snorkeling spot by Paradise Gardens in Sahl Hasheesh. Their beach isn’t yet open, so only the bins are there where the sunbeds used to be. Because Sahl Hasheesh is one of the few places with operational beaches just now, it’s actually pretty busy in the publically accessible areas. The resort is definitely starting to come back to life.

It’s not too far to cycle, so even though it’s hot, it’s manageable; at least there’s a bit of a breeze as you cycle along. The second time I brought, and drank, a diet coke, but I think I could have survived easily without it. I do remember other summers where I’ve needed to stop and drink, so I’m wondering if hotter weather is yet to come.

My snorkeling place had two other couples there when I went the first time and in normal times I very often have it to myself, so that’s a sign of how it’s getting busier. Fortunately, I didn’t need to go anywhere near the others, but I always feel nervous when people are about as I’m always fretting that they’ll tread on the coral or do something else equally stupid. I’m also aware that I probably look as if I’m too close, but I’ve come to be able to judge my distance pretty well over the years and I can manoeuvre myself back and forwards without needing to put my legs down, so I’m confident that I’m not near enough to damage anything or, indeed, myself. However, I understand that I may be setting a bad example, so then I get all worried about whether I should pull back a bit. But then I won’t get such good photographs!

The sea seems to be warmer at this point of the beach than anywhere else. It must be thirty degrees, I would think, at least in the shallow area as you get in. As usual, I have to choose a day with little wind for the best experience, although nowadays my view can be obscured by the heat haze in the water.

The fish are still there. There’s a whole group of Picasso fish right at the end just now, which is pretty unusual to see and the last time I went there was also a shoal of raccoon butterflyfish. They are stunning when you see them en masse. I also saw two grey moray eels in the shallow grass area as I was walking back out of the water. There’s life everywhere you look in the sea. The sea stars’ tentacles are always waving out of the sand in the shallows.

Horrifyingly, I spotted something that looked like secateurs lying on top of one bit of coral, so I hope that isn’t someone coming out with the deliberate intention of cutting it and taking it away (which is illegal, but when did that stop people?). I feel sure some of it looks like it’s been trodden on, but maybe I’m just worrying too much.

Anyway, it’s good to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment