Monday 25 January 2021

El Andalous - Horse Riding

 

Horse Riding, December 2020

Somewhere along the line, I forgot to mention that I went out horse riding before Christmas. Sahl Hasheesh is only small but it has its own stables (I have blogged about them before). Due to coronavirus, it’s been in danger of shutting down, but I think it’s doing okay at the moment.

Anyway, to help it keep in business (and for our own enjoyment, of course), a group of us decided to go horse riding for two hours. The last time I was on a horse was when I took five lessons in Horsham, right when I first moved there, so that must be around eighteen years ago now (yikes!).

I’ve got very nervous as I’ve got older (and I’m not even that old), so I wanted a quiet horse that wouldn’t run away. As it was, I chose the wrong riding hat; it was perched on top of my head rather than fitting down over my head, and I didn’t feel very safe. So, I wasn't up for cantering. Fortunately, I wasn't the only one wanting a slow-paced day.

It was a good fun. We rode over to where the marina is supposed to be (it’s supposed to have been there for about twelve years now and still no sign of anything happening). I’d never been over that far – I’m always a bit aware that if I go too far out on my bicycle and I get a puncture, I’ll be stranded in the middle of nowhere with no-one around to help and it being hours and hours to walk back. See what I said about getting nervous these days?

Afterwards we rode the horses into the sea and along the shore line, coming back at sunset. The more experienced riders cantered. At one point, Kathryn shouted over to me that my horse was having a baby and for one awful moment I thought she meant it was giving birth that very moment (the horse had suddenly stopped and wasn’t moving and I wasn’t sure why). However, it turned out she was just informing me that it was pregnant and only had a few weeks to go before it was due to give birth. Phew.

When finished, we spent some time looking round at the goats, turkeys, horses, dogs and kittens that were roaming about.

All in all, it was great to go somewhere different, have a change of activity, and enjoy the company!

No comments:

Post a Comment