Monday 15 February 2021

Hurghada - Luca's

 

Luca's

I’m turning into your typical ex-pat, I’m rather ashamed to say.

In the last six months or so, a new place called Luca’s Pub and Grub has opened in the marina in Hurghada. It’s run by a Brit. On FaceBook, I’ve seen them advertise their curry night, their fish and chips, their full English breakfast, and their Sunday roasts. Gary and Maria said the Sunday roast was amazing and the owner was a friend of theirs. I’d heard something similar from someone else as well.

Anyway, I’ve been wanting to go for a while. Apparently, they do chicken, beef, or lamb for the roast dinner. I can’t remember the last time I had roast lamb! It’s years at a minimum, possibly a decade or more. It’s not really served in Switzerland either. The thought of it made my stomach rumble. Oh, and did I mention the apple crumble?

I’d told Gary and Maria they must invite me along next time they go, but I got a bit impatient. And then I remembered that Safi had been craving a roast dinner for years. I let her know about it and within minutes we were booked!

We went, in separate cars, with Kathryn and Stephen. I was a bit worried about it being overcrowded as their photo on FaceBook made it looked packed, but when we got there, it wasn’t too busy. There were maybe two other tables occupied (outside).

The food was great, although as usual I got food envy, and did wonder if maybe the roast beef looked even better than the roast lamb. Everything was served with Yorkshire puddings (and when was the last time I had one of them!); they had mint sauce for the lamb. So really, all the trimmings were there.

Afterwards, I had the apple crumble (sticky toffee pudding was also an option if that’s more your thing) which came with custard. Oh yum! Again, I can’t remember when I last ate that. At least years ago.

Inside, it was packed (but I guess complying with the 50% regulation – these days if there are more than two customers, a place looks packed!), apparently, although I never went in. We sat outside to be safer and it wasn’t even too cold.

The guy running it is a Brit and has that peculiarly British sense of humour where you’re a bit rude to people as a joke. I kind of wonder if everyone would get it, but he’s a fun chap and does an excellent job at making sure everyone is being served and is happy.

Safi got very excited at the Full English breakfast option, so I went with her the following weekend for that. This is a lady that says she doesn’t really eat anything! She was super excited about getting a proper English sausage and Daddy’s sauce. I’m always happy just to eat. I’m surprised she didn’t drive the owner mad with all her requirements for sauce, and not to have this, but make sure it’s a proper sausage, etc, but the two of them bantered off each other really well. It was the perfect springboard for his sense of humour and we all had a lot of fun.

So, I’m a bit ashamed to be living in another country but eating the food of my own culture. However, in my defence, it is years since I’ve had the chance to eat this stuff and I think I’m entitled to some home comforts every now and then! I can highly recommend the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment