Monday 1 March 2021

El Andalous - Openings

 

Shimmers

Despite coronavirus, new places are opening up in Hurghada and in Sahl Hasheesh. Egypt has announced that our second wave of coronavirus is retreating, although no changes have been made to current rules in place (reduced capacity in restaurants, mask wearing inside, curfew at midnight). However, these rules are far more liberal in the first wave last year and they aren’t too restrictive.

Nevertheless, I was surprised to find places opening – obviously, tourism is still low and restrictions are in place.

A restaurant has opened up in Sahl Hasheesh called Shimmers. It’s by the sea (in Sahl Hasheesh, that’s almost a given). I did wonder if it would get any custom, but it’s actually always got two or three tables occupied, which in Sahl Hasheesh is quite busy even when tourists are around. And this is despite the fact that Bus Stop and Il Gusto (two other restaurants not attached to hotels) are also operational.

I’ve been there twice – once in passing for a milkshake. They use Moevenpick ice cream, which is a treat, but it’s quite expensive and not huge (I am greedy). Another time, I went with friends for a meal to try out the food. I’d heard mixed reports – some people saying it was very good and others saying it was okay. I took the steak, which was good, but not the best I’ve had over here (I prefer the steak at Bus Stop in SH and at The Heaven in Hurghada).

Still, a new place is always welcome to spread the choice a bit.

A bar/restaurant has also opened up in a side road (so no sea view) called Tipsy. The bar itself looks really impressive. I took some photos before I went and said I’d be back. I wasn’t actually fishing, but I did mention that the photos were for a FaceBook page for the owners of apartments in El Andalous. Anyway, maybe because of that, we got a selection of free starters (Baba Ganoush, Hummus, and stuffed vine leaves; all with fresh oriental bread). The chef there is Syrian (so I was told), so for the main dish I had Beef Shawerma (spicy sliced beef in onion) with French Fries. It was tasty and something I wouldn’t be able to cook for myself, which is always a plus.

The problem with both places (and many others in Sahl Hasheesh) is that the prices are very expensive. They’re about the same as in Europe, whereas you could probably take a taxi into Hurghada and still eat for less even taking into account the taxi fare. Part of the problem is that the prices look marginally expensive on the menu, but then almost an extra 25% is added on afterwards for tax and service.

It’s also partly due to the mindset here that they want to attract wealthier people to Sahl Hasheesh, so they charge more. However, they don’t seem to realise that wealthy people pay more for higher quality, not pay more for the same quality as cheaper places!

But, having said that, it’s great to have local hostelries and always nice to see people making their ideas into reality. And very nice for us residents to have more choice locally. Hopefully it’s a sign that better times will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment