Monday 7 April 2014

El Andalous - Lena's Arrival

El Andalous

I’ve been blessed so far to have had a fair few visitors. So, the next one was Lena – we’d both studied German at university together and somehow we’d both eventually ended up in Zurich (although my 6 years in Switzerland was a temporary stay compared to hers!). Anyway, to my delight, she decided to come over to visit for 18 days.

I’d made a sign for Esmat to hold at the airport and, as requested, I texted him the night before to remind him to turn up. The pick up went fairly smoothly, although I was a bit flummoxed when he phoned to say that Lena wasn’t there and could I describe her to him. I’m rubbish at describing people. I could say fairly easily that she was the same age as me, maybe a little taller, and thin – I didn’t think any of these things had changed – but had to stab a guess at blond/brown hair that was short as I had no idea what her current hair style or hair colour was like. I tried to explain that her hair could have changed and may be completely different from what I was describing, but I got the impression that Esmat was feeling a bit bemused at my confused ramblings. I will maybe try to show a photograph next time if anyone needs to be picked up!

Anyway, it all went well in the end, apart from the fact that Lena arrived not feeling very well, so we postponed the inaugural dinner out until the next evening.

Jac had recommended the fish restaurant in the hotel next door (Pyramisa), so off we went.

My problem is that, unusually for a female, I’m not so good at multitasking. Consequently, my mind was so preoccupied with trying to get us a discount that I completely forgot to ask anything about the menu and what the fixed price truly entailed. I also got a bit confused because when they asked “Outside?” I thought they were asking whether we wanted to sit outside (which turned out not to be an option), but they were asking whether we were outside guests, ie, not pertaining to the hotel. But, never mind, amidst all the confusion, I did get us a bit of a reduced price as residents and I’m sure that’s what really counts?

Anyway, we sat down and only then realised that it was a set menu with fish soup for starters (not really my thing) and then fish or shrimps (as far as I could gather) for the main course. I’d thought there would be a meat option. Hey ho.

The food was actually pretty good, only I hadn’t realised that the shrimps would be huge things that I needed to tear apart (I don’t normally eat fish); in my mind it was going to be something like scampi and chips. Still, I munched my way through it, asking Lena for advice as to what I was supposed to do with these things as I went along. However, both of us were a bit distracted by the fact that Lena’s fish hadn’t arrived and we deliberated as I ate whether we were supposed to share one course of shrimps and one course of fish. If so, then whoops!

I watched the look of horror on Lena’s face as they brought her fish. It was huge and looked most peculiar – to me it looked black and knobbly, but I didn’t really inspect it that carefully. Its head was still on and was looking back at us. Again, this wasn’t quite what we were expecting. Lena respectfully covered the fish’s head with her napkin so that she didn’t have to face it. However, the fish itself, she said, was very good indeed, once she’d got over the initial shock.

We were the only non-Russians present. The evening also included entertainment of a whirling dervish (I got selected to do the group activity) and a cobra show (I fortunately sat out on that one). Weirdly, given that the entire audience, apart from us, was Russian, the performers spoke in English, although not much speaking was really involved.

One person had a birthday, so a delicious-looking chocolate cake was brought out for him. Lena and I eyed it greedily and our hopes raised as the guy went round all the tables to offer each guest a piece (the cake was too large for his party alone), but somehow he missed us out, even though we appeared to be the only people desirous of a slice.

Fortunately, his wife/girlfriend/friend noticed our disappointment (actually, I think Lena looked across and indicated our intentions!), nudged the birthday boy, who then came over to our table and gave us two huge slices. Freebies always taste better than anything else! I doubt the person is reading, but if he is, a huge thanks from both of us for that!

On our way out, it seemed that security was arguing with someone, but it’s always hard to tell in Egypt since their way of talking always sounds, to a British ear at any rate, rather excited. Anyway, it all made for an interesting and eventful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment