Thursday 3 July 2014

Hurghada - Eating Out

Sahl Hasheesh - Fish Having Lunch


It takes a while to know where to go out when you’re new, but I’m slowly gaining experience of several eating establishments in Hurghada.

I’ve already reported on the Viking bar where we listened to a live band one evening. A similar place was recommended by Nicole’s hairdresser, so we decided to go there one evening for a meal. It’s called South Beach and, believe it or not, is on a beach. It’s just off Sheraton Road.

There were loungers by the beach, but the main area was a wooden platformed area facing a stage with some very fancy kit for the band. The menu was fairly standard, although Nicole said the mussels were really good and I have to say we had the best cheesecake that I’ve had in years. Apparently, it’s frequented quite a lot by the Brits. The waiters spoke perfect English and it was very clean. 

We were accompanied by Nicole’s beautician and the beautician’s two (male) friends, who had come just for the music (the guitarist was very good; the band was a bit heavy and very loud, but maybe I’m showing my age!). One of them made a comment of “what a waste” along with a few other similar remarks when he realised I was single, which is the closest I’ve come to a compliment for quite a while (I could have regarded it as crass, but I was old enough to be his mother, so I decided it was a compliment – may as well look on the positive side!). I found it quite funny, anyway.

I’m looking forward to taking visitors to South Beach as it makes for a good evening with both food and music and a little more lively than Sahl Hasheesh (although Sahl Hasheesh has its beach parties).

Apparently, there’s supposed to be an ice bar (ie, a bar made out of ice) coming in the same location, although it will cost a bomb to keep it all frozen when temperatures are 30 degrees at midnight! Let’s see if it ever happens. Hurghada is a place full of rumoured expectations that never materialise (but the speculation is always good fun).

Another evening we went to a Chinese restaurant on Sheraton Road. The original idea had been to try out Retro, which is just opposite South Beach and has a deal on Mondays for steak, chips and a wine for 55 LE (around £5). It’s always full, which is a good sign. However, when we got there, the World Cup was in full flow, we couldn’t get a seat and the TV was blaring, so we decided we would try it once the World Cup was over. Consequently, we walked to the Chinese restaurant instead.

We sat inside to benefit from the air conditioning and we still couldn’t quite escape the World Cup, but we were at least the other side of the restaurant and it was all nicely set out. I took the duck with pancakes, which was very good; the menu had a large selection, the prices were reasonable, and the food was good. I would be more than happy to eat there with visiting friends.

Finally (for now!), I went to Thai Garden on the Touristic Promenade with Safi for her birthday (happy birthday, Safi!). Kath and Tom had also recommended this restaurant, commenting that it had been reliably good over the last six years, which is quite something for Hurghada. It looks small from the outside, but goes back quite a way. When you enter, you walk past all the Asian cooks who bow as you come in and then you step over a small bridge to get to the dining area. Very nice! The menu had a good selection and Safi and I shared our dishes. I decided to take a non-alchoholic cocktail since one of my characters in my book (Space Shapes) had just ordered one (I'm such a copy-cat)! Absolutely everything was super. Again, I am looking forward to bringing visitors there.

So, I’m slowly building up a few recommendations. I am hoping that maybe this will persuade some more people to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment