Monday 28 July 2014

Sahl Hasheesh - The Heat

Sahl Hasheesh - Looking Towards the Pier

Actually, it’s not as hot as it was a while ago, but there’s a load I forgot to say when I wrote about it hotting up. That exemplifies how true it is that these higher temperatures addle my brain!

One effect of the higher temperatures, though, is that I drink a lot more water. This shouldn’t really surprise me, but it did. I drank quite a lot when I first got here and I thought it got less because I was getting used to the heat, but actually, I think it was because it got “colder” (mid 20s). Ridiculous, isn't it, to describe 24 degrees as "cooler"?

I was never a person for having a lot of food in my fridge. Nowadays, though, it is stocked to the brim. Even in winter, it is piled full with drinks – lots of water, juice, diet cokes, and milk. There’s hardly room for anything else. I’ve just started using my ice dispenser, which I’m quite enjoying, although it’s difficult to get it to actually dispense. That’s a bit of a drawback. Maybe I need to grease the ice cube container beforehand? I must look that up on the internet.

Now it's summer, I've changed the way I shop. Frozen items defrost almost immediately on leaving the supermarket. I found a coolbag that the tenants had left behind, so if I remember, I take that with me.

I also have a little cool bag to take my can of diet coke with me down to the beach and it now doubles up as a container for my chocolate purchases. If I just pack the chocolates in with my canned goods and bottled water, they are pure liquid by the time I reach home. In winter, I can store the chocolates in my kitchen cupboards without a problem, but I daren’t do that just now, so chocolates take up one shelf of my fridge.

I can’t remember if I mentioned it before, but I also sleep longer. Or maybe more fitfully. More to the point, during that really hot period, I woke up feeling so hot that I would take a cold shower first thing in the morning (well, luke warm, since you don’t really get “cold” water here from the taps). I never thought that would happen in a month of Sundays.

At the moment, though, I’m back to warm showers, but am sticking with my iced coffees and chilled chocolate bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment