Monday 28 September 2020

Zurich - Out and About During Coronavirus

 

Dining Out in Ruschlikon
(Actually this was closed, but still got the view from the window!)

I made it to Zurich just in time for the relaxed restrictions and before, well actually, during the time when restrictions started to be strengthened again (during my stay they increased mask wearing from public transport only to all shops and enclosed spaces). This was my rationale for coming over at this point in time – get across before everything changed for the worse and before travel wouldn’t be possible. To this extent, the trip was a resounding success.

The first two days were really hot – temperatures must have been in the mid-30s, and I was missing my air conditioning in Egypt (another reason for coming over just now was to escape the heat!). The hotel didn’t have any air conditioning. So, I went for a swim.

I’d hoped to try out the refurbished pool in Opfikon, but due to coronavirus, it delayed opening until September 1st, by which time I would be back in Egypt. That was a shame and immediately botched up my plans for a daily trip to the pool. I did manage a swim in the outdoor pool at Seebach (an old haunt of mine).

I couldn’t see any rules in place, but I was exhausted as I swam. Not really sure why, but maybe it was lack of sleep (due to the heat). I didn’t even do one kilometre and got out once there were more than two people in my lane for safety reasons (I didn’t want them breathing on me, or me on them, given coronavirus). Maybe my underlying nervousness was also taking away from my overall energy. However, to compensate, I did go in a second time.

Most of my other highlights involved eating and drinking. I made it over to Basel to visit Steph (we ate and we drank) and then she came down to Zurich (more drinking and eating). We went to Haus Conditorei Schober in the old town. It’s lovely, very quaint, wonderful cakes, but it was packed. I was shocked at how many people they allowed in. No-one seemed too worried, but I fretted. As per regulations, one of us had to register for the track and trace in case any coronavirus was reported there. It was the only place I felt uncomfortable.

I met up with Yuen and had a vegan burger (hello Geraldine, I hope that made you happy!) in B. Good in Oerlikon. It was the first time I’d been there and the burger was great. Again, we had to register, but we were able to sit outside and the tables were distanced.

I saw Lena twice – we went to Ruschlikon for dinner with a great view over the lake (that’s what you come to Zurich for!) and then to our old haunt Café Felix on another evening.

On my last day, I met up with Hye-Youn and Candice in Terrasse; I’d managed to see Hye-Youn when I first arrived for a meal in a Korean restaurant, which was new to me. It was good to be trying new places while I was in Zurich!

Another evening was occupied with catching up with Nick; that was my chance to have my Zuri Geschnetzeltes – the local dish. I’d had it on the plane, actually, but it was good to have a “proper” one as well.

Even with all of this, I did manage two trips to the KFC in Zurich airport.

Huge apologies to those I didn’t get to see – Peter, we’ll definitely have to meet up next time I’m across, but at least I can see you on FaceBook! Rajashree, I don’t think you read this blog, but if you happen across this, also sorry I didn’t catch up with you. Gerard and Muriel – tut, tut, no reply!

I did want to do at least one cultural thing while I was across, but I didn’t make it. I went to the Kunsthaus, but was thirsty when I got there, so had a drink in the café (outside). And then I didn’t have time to go in!

So, all in all, a bit of a whistlestop tour, but really great to catch up with people and have a little taste of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment