Monday 5 October 2020

El Andalous - A Lot of Pus

Horrible Bite!

 

Sorry to put up such a disgusting photo, but I thought I’d return to the topic of being bitten by insects.

All sorts of insects bite you over here – mosquitos, flies, ants….

Ann (thank you if you’re reading!) gave me a very good tip for stopping bites from itching and that was to boil some water, put it in a teaspoon until the spoon gets scalding hot, then press the back of the spoon (without the water in it) on your bite. She said leave it for one minute, but actually the spoon never stays hot that long.

It’s a bit scary to do. Her advice was to put it to your skin as hot as you can bear it, but also be careful not to scald yourself. Apparently, this kills the histamine. The upshot is that I’m continually worrying whether I’m going to scald myself and if I’m not scalding myself, is it hot enough to be effective. It’s a lose-lose situation! She also said an alternative is to put the bite under a hot shower. Generally I haven’t done that because it’s harder to localize the shower water in the one place you want it.

It works and I feel as if I can sense the histamine reacting, like a finger crawling just under my skin. Sometimes I might need to repeat it the next day. At this point, I should say I am not a medically-qualified professional. If you act on anything in this blog, it is at your own risk and I am not taking responsibility. No guarantees are provided, either. I’m simply reporting my experiences.

Anyway, occasionally I get bites that come up with a lot of pus (as pictured). I’ve assumed it must be a particular kind of insect. The bites are always much itchier than a usual bite. They start off small, sometimes with a large red area round them, then over a few days the ball of pus grows, taking up the red area. The bite gets less itchy as the pus ball expands. At some point, the ball of pus feels very tight, as if it’s about to explode with the tension.

Sometimes, I treat a bite early with the hot spoon treatment and it immediately forms a tiny spot of pus. I’ve found (corroborated by others on another page I found, which inspired me to write this) that if I smear it relentlessly with insect-bite lotion (totally disregarding the packet of one of mine that says to use it not more than three times a day! My other lotion doesn’t have this precaution), the bite will die. Again, I’m not advising you ignore the prescribed limitations as there must be risks involved. I’m merely reporting what I did.

I can’t remember if I gave the one pictured the hot spoon treatment when I first got it (they start off small, very itchy, but innocuous-looking). Anyway, I obviously didn’t catch it properly. I took a photo because I’ve never had my arm actually swell before and the red area was half of my arm, which was extreme. I was a bit concerned that the ball of pus would grow to that size.

Once you’ve got a big ball of pus like that, though, it’s natural to wonder if you should just burst it and let it out (particularly if it’s got painfully tight).

In the past, I’ve found that if I sterilize a pin in boiling water and stab at the ball of pus, it will release the pressure as some of the pus comes out and then the pinpricks will heal over and more pus will come in and take the place of the stuff that’s leaked out (as basically all the pus has to come out and at this stage, it’s still forming and growing). The skin underneath (if you squeeze all the pus out and don’t have the ball reform) is red and sensitive. My guess is that the longer you leave the pus sitting, the less sensitive that patch of skin will be when you do get rid of the pus.

If you search the internet, you’ll find medical advice saying you should not pierce the area of pus from bites as it increases risk of infection. But I’m pretty sure they are thinking of normal, small bites when they say this rather than these humungous ones. Sometimes the large ones can just burst of their own accord without you realizing, but at times they are so tight, it’s really hard to resist the temptation to reduce the pressure.

Others report putting gauze over these bites after bursting them (as the rest of the pus still has to come out and you have to try to ensure you don’t get infected). Again, this is not medical advice. If you do this, it’s at your own risk. I imagine it’s pretty horrible if you get infected.

Anyway, this time, I had this massive swelling. I decided to use the hot water treatment in the shower, as I was worried that the pus ball would grow to be the size of my arm. I put the water on to its hottest, and sprayed my lower arm in bursts of one second (that was as much heat as I could bear) repeatedly over a few minutes.

To my complete astonishment, ten minutes after I’d done it, the swelling had completely gone. The ball of pus was still there, but my arm was no longer red and swollen. That was a massive improvement. I was also taking antihistamine tablets, so maybe it was a coincidence with that, and you can’t conclude anything from a sample of one. However, I was hugely relieved.

It's now almost better (I did puncture it after a while, let it reform, and then fully drained it after it got a bit saggy and remained so for a few days).

There should be more research on how to handle these types of bites!

No comments:

Post a Comment