Monday 30 November 2020

El Andalous - Walking and Cycling

 

Solar Farm - Antenna in Shape of Palm Among Solar Panels


I wanted to keep fit while I was waiting for my mosquito bite to heal. I had mixed success. There were a couple of days where I didn’t go out, although for the most part I forced myself to either have a walk or to cycle somewhere. If I wasn’t in the mood, it would be just a short walk. The main thing was to get out of the flat and also to keep healthy.

It was quite interesting doing different things for a change. I had two major bicycle rides (for me). One time I cycled as far as I could go along the sea at Sahl Hasheesh towards Makadi Bay. It was good to have a change of scene and I’d never gone that far on my own before (I had done it in a buggy with other people on a few occasions). As I reached the end of the road (it just stops, leading nowhere), I turned to cycle back and two guys were riding horseback. It was lovely to watch them cantering by the sea.

My other major cycle was up to the solar farm in Sahl Hasheesh. I’d often wanted to take a closer look at it. It’s a bit of an uphill journey, so it was good exercise, too. I stopped where all the buildings were, but there was a security guard there and I felt a bit nervous. I parked my bike by the side of the road and stared up at the solar panels which were up on the hill above. The security guard was watching me and I felt a bit self-conscious. Here in Sahl Hasheesh, all the mobile phone antenna are disguised as palm trees; there was one of these sticking up in the middle of all the solar panels. The fake trees are quite convincing, but you can always tell because they are so much taller than the real palms.

I realized I could get a closer look at the panels if I went further up the hill, so I did that and parked the opposite side of the road. That way, I hoped the security guard wouldn't pay too much attention. I walked up to the panels, but the path beside them was blocked for entry, which I guess is fair enough. No-one was there to stop me, but I obeyed anyway. No point in potentially putting myself in danger. I didn’t get the full overview of the panels I wanted, but it was good to see it up close for once.

I had two longish walks towards Jamaran, the villa district in Sahl Hasheesh. Again, the road stops in the middle of nowhere and then you have to walk across sandy hillocks. It’s pleasant as the sea is beside you and it’s interesting to see how different the open sea is from the sea in the bay. There's a distinct line in the middle of the sea where the open water starts. The open sea is, of course, much wilder, with more waves, and a darker blue.

A group of Egyptian men passed me. One pulled off his face mask and said “Hello, Fiona!” I had no idea who he was but I greeted him back, pretending I knew him. I suspect he saw through my bluff, though!

On my way back, a guy on a bicycle appeared out of nowhere and passed me. He stopped, handed me a menu, and asked if I wanted to order a drink! I had no idea where from as we weren't by a bar or anything. That was most bizarre. I saw him the following day, too, when I took a short walk on the pier. This time, he was walking with his boss and they showed me their food menu. They were just opening a new restaurant, which explained the weird behaviour!

It was all quite pleasant and added to the feeling both of adventure and of belonging. That’s what’s so great about being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment