Thursday 15 May 2014

Egypt - Five Learnings

Ice cream shop, Sahl Hasheesh


I had written down notes for this blog and now it seems that I threw them away as I was tidying up (yes, these days, I tidy up!). So, this will be a different set, since for the life of me I can’t remember everything I wrote.

Anyway, you pick up different things as you move along in life. Here are five things I’ve learned since I’ve been here.

1. Time in Egypt is fluid. I was not expecting Swiss punctuality, but that’s not actually what I’m referring to. In Egypt, things such as winter and summer time are pretty fluid as well. I believe they’d dispensed with summer time, but they’ve just decided to bring it back (to save electricity, apparently). So they’ve just announced that on 15th May, our clocks go forward. But then they go back again for the month of Ramadan to ease the fasting (June 28 until July 27, 2014), and then they return to an hour forward afterwards. No doubt in winter, the clocks will go back again, but I don’t think that’s been announced yet. Date to be decided. Weird or what?

2. The Russians have an insatiable desire to pose for their photographs. I may be in Egypt, but there are a whole load of Russians here. You can spot them a mile off. There will be one woman, half-in, half-out of the sea, long hair draped over one shoulder, waves lapping over her. The guy will be giving directions, holding a huge camera, maybe even with a helper to position the woman correctly. Alternatively, the model (just a normal holidaymaker) may be embracing one of the trees, chest out, smile dazzling. Or perhaps lying on her back on the sand, hand laying above her head, hips twisted. They may even hire wedding dresses and pose like newlyweds. This is all bizarre for UK eyes, where the culture is more to disliking having your photograph taken or believing that the best photos are where you are at your most natural. Or perhaps you might pose but that would be just for a joke. The Russians, however, are being perfectly serious.

3. I now buy baby shampoo. One of the best tips I’ve had since I’ve been here (thank you, Kathleen, although I believe it originated from Josephine) is to smear the tiniest smidgen of baby shampoo on the inside and outside of your snorkel/goggles and then rinse them out before you go snorkelling or swimming. You will then get a fabulously clear view and they won’t steam up at all while you’re out. I tried this and it really works. So, if you find me in the baby aisles of the supermarket, don’t get the wrong idea!

4. Vodka is an indispensable household item. To be honest, I’m not convinced about this one. However, apparently, I’ve heard second- or third-hand, the Russians view vodka as a bit of a miracle item. If you spray it over yourself, the mosquitos will keep away. If there’s a stubborn stain on your floor, vodka will remove it. Having difficulty with getting your glass doors smear-free? Vodka will clean them immaculately. You can buy vodka here for 15 LE in the alcohol warehouse, so I’ve got some now at home, all ready to use.

5. Immunity. I’m pinning my hopes on this being true. Apparently, after you’ve been here solidly for around two years, you no longer notice mosquitos any more. Your skin tolerates them and no longer reacts to their bites. Each time I get a bite now, I think I must be one step nearer to that day. I can but hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment