Monday 19 May 2014

El Andalous - Sundowners

Me overlooking the Pier at Sahl Hasheesh (Photo courtesy of Holger Hartmann)

In working life in the UK, it can be quite common to go for a drink after work on a Friday night. I think it’s a celebration of the end of the working week, or the breaking open of the pay packet for those who are paid weekly.

The Brits over here seem to have carried through this tradition and so an invitation to “sundowners” – or a drink to watch the sun go down – is a fairly frequent occurrence, and it’s not limited to Fridays or even just one day a week. So far, I’ve been invited to sundowners only by people with flats with sea views, so I also wonder if it’s just a thing for those residents.

Those who knew me before Sahl Hasheesh probably think of me as a relatively keen drinker, but I’ve actually changed my habits a bit since I’ve moved over here. Somehow, I'm not so inclined to drink when it's hot. Having said that, I still have the occasional glass of wine in the evening, but usually not until after I’ve eaten and my body has had time to adjust after the day’s sunshine and swimming. My "sundown" habit is more to come off the beach, get my laptop out to check how my shares have performed, and then sit on my balcony with a cup of coffee and a bar of chocolate. So, I’m really rather sedate at that time of day.

Once the mosquitos come out (this may be worth another blog!), I move inside and start cooking, so that I have enough time left in the evening ahead to settle down properly to my writing (and/or watch my soaps!).

For me, therefore, sundowners are a very social event, since it takes me out of my routine (and, don’t get me wrong, when invited, I do drink!); indeed sundowners are very often designed to be like mini gatherings with nibbles also provided in addition to the alcohol. However, I believe that many people have sundowners at the end of each day to admire the view from their balconies as a matter of course. There is definitely a worse life than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment